Say Ja To Hygge!


At first, I thought I had better purchase a few of the better known hygge books that I saw tagged in so many Instagram posts. I’m writing a blog about hygge so I should really know what has been said and spread by popular authors. That way, if I disagree or say something different in my opinion, I can state in my blog that contrary to my own beliefs, this popular author states otherwise. This was how, whilst combing eBay, I accidentally bought the best hygge book ever. ‘Say Ja To Hygge’ by Dr Magnus Olsensen.

I remember briefly hearing about this book at some point last year or maybe even early this year. It was an anecdote in conversation and I barely remembered it. I didn’t recognise the name or cover when I bought it in a hygge book shopping spree that I really should not have been having. I began reading the book earlier today and can I just say…hysterical.


I had no idea when I purchased the book that it was a parody. The first few pages I’m thinking ‘oh, that’s a bit much’ and ‘gosh, I can’t believe he was allowed to say that’ until I finally realise the whole book is satire. The book is laid out as a guide to hygge for the beginner, teaching you all about the history of hygge and the many years of hard work and dedication the university of Aarhus has given to it, along with multiple other study groups.

Quoting you obscene prices for remodelling your home to look hygge to the storm CD aka the sexy hygge bedroom music, you won’t be disappointed. Unless you are Norwegian…ouch!



The thing I like most about this book is through all of its obscenities and dark humour you can actually learn about hygge. For non-Danes or non-Danish speakers take everything you read with a grain of salt. Also, keep an eye on the ‘Danish words’ and ‘Company Names’ he slips in. Priceless!
With its classic seventies cover, instantly ageing each reader’s assumption of the text, it is easy to spot in shops. Not to mention the age the book looks, makes it more likely that the text is all true and just very politically incorrect.


I highly recommend getting a second-hand copy on eBay, totally worth the chuckle.


Freja

Comments

Popular Posts