Find Your Own Way To Hygge

Since hygge has become more popular with more countries across the globe some of its definitions have become a little bit misconstrued. Hygge isn't something you can learn or something you can buy. It's not really something you need to budget for because it isn't really something you can put a price on. There's no such thing as a hygge meal or a hygge apartment. The only things you actually need for hygge is the ability to be present within yourself and present within the world around you. One could go as far to say that consciousness is the key to hygge. Like you, I love the cosy, comforting associations of hygge but hygge itself is a moment that can be described as a sensation in your heart.

The first time I remember feeling this way and acknowledging it was in 1995, I was seven and my sister was eleven. It was the 26th of December and we were watching Christmas movies on VHS tape and eating leftover turkey sandwiches sprinkled with salt the way my Mum used to make them. My Dad had pulled the couch closer to the television set and the Christmas tree lights were on in the background. I will never forget that feeling.

I am in no way, shape or form telling you not to purchase lots of beautiful items for your home. I am simply saying that hygge is the way you home should make you feel and not the accessories you buy from the supermarket. Many people face a challenge when they realise their home, as it currently stands does not spark this inspiration and charm within themselves. They follow forums, groups and blogs advertising products they can buy and surround themselves with, but no product is truly Hygge. A homeless man's hygge will be very different to a wealthy man's hygge and mine will look differently to your own.

In Scandinavia, a minimalist style is very coveted and very popular. However, other countries in Europe express very different styles and find cosy and comforting to be much more clutter felt. My Danish friend's houses and my Finnish friend's houses look very different. However, they still possess the same vibe, they are both hygge. Decor can be an extremely powerful way to express yourself within you home. Especially when the majority of us rent because we can't afford to purchase our own homes. So how are we supposed to keep up and hygge the hell out of our lives?



The first thing I suggest is turning inward and looking at yourself. If you are a crafty person look at the items you already have, and see how you could customise them on a budget to suit your new style. If you aren't so crafty why not visit your local charity shops, there is nothing more hygge in my eyes than thrift stores. It's like being taken to a vault filled with cheap and homey items. Pre-loved basically means 'filled with stories and good stuff!' Pow!! Sprinkle that sh*t all over your house. I don't know about you but since the recession my town is mostly filled with charity shops...And strangely enough hairdressers, I really should have become a hairdresser when my Mother suggested it.

When you create things for yourself and when you purchase second-hand you're almost guaranteed to have something completely unique that no one else has. Handmade items are great because they give such a cosy/lived in feel to your environment.  Now I've never told anyone this before but I'm just going to say it, when I burn Yankee Candles, I save all the melted wax to re make a damn candle when it's finished. It's so easy!!  I cut every bath bomb I own into four separate pieces, because contrary to popular belief you don't actually have to record a video of yourself delicately plopping your bath bomb into your bath tub every single time you need to have a wash. Bath bombs are crazy expensive and I want to get my money’s worth. 

It's ok to have a totally different physical style to someone else to live your hygge lifestyle. One of the items I see most often on hygge blogs and forums is blankets and scarves covered in what looks like snowflakes even though it's July. That's not my style at all. My personal, visible hygge Style is mostly made up of greys and pastel colours, a lot of faux furs and layered materials. My kitchen cupboards are not filled with neat matching sets of tea cups but rather mugs with quotes from movies I enjoy.  That's because those items give me the sensation of hygge. As long as you love the things you own, you wear the clothes that make you feel good and you are genuinely happy in your surroundings, your shopping sprees or lack of won't make a difference. Who needs a ceramic hedgehog waving from underneath a toad stool to enjoy life? not me! which is good because when I went back to Lidl to buy it they had all gone. 

Creating your very own hygge style will make it even more authentically hygge. Some of us love to read and so a comfortable reading corner is what the hygge life is about. Some of us love to hygge out binge watching Making a Murderer on Netflix and so a comfortable area to watch television is more of a priority. In the winter months in Finland if you do not have multiple duvets and blankets you will freeze to death but in Los Angeles they don’t have the same problem and would probably get heat stroke if they attempted to mimic this style of hygge.

Find your own hygge, you won’t be sorry, you will be far too cosy!



Freja 

Comments

Popular Posts